What is the antonym of “infantile”?
The antonyms of infantile are mature, adult, and grown-up. These antonyms describe a more developed, responsible, and sophisticated state of being.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Fully developed physically, mentally, or emotionally; having reached a state of full growth or maturity.
She showed a mature attitude by taking responsibility for her actions.
A person who has reached the age of majority and is legally responsible for their actions; fully grown or developed.
As an adult, he had to make his own decisions and take care of himself.
A person who is fully developed physically, mentally, or emotionally; mature.
She acted like a grown-up by handling the situation calmly and responsibly.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Mature refers to a state of full development, while adult and grown-up refer to a legal and social status of being fully responsible for one's actions.
- 2Adult is a noun that describes a person who has reached the age of majority, while grown-up is an adjective that describes a person who is fully developed.
- 3Grown-up is a more informal term than adult and can be used to describe someone who is mature in behavior and attitude.
Good things to know
- 1Professional Communication: Use mature to describe professional behavior and attitude.
- 2Legal Context: Use adult to describe a person's legal status as a responsible individual.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Use grown-up to describe someone who is mature in behavior and attitude, but in a more casual context.