What is the antonym of “inhabitable”?
The antonym of inhabitable is uninhabitable, unlivable, and inhospitable. These words describe places that are not suitable or comfortable for living.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not suitable or safe for living in.
The house was uninhabitable due to severe water damage.
Not suitable or comfortable for living in.
The apartment was unlivable due to the lack of heating and hot water.
Unwelcoming or hostile to living beings; not providing a favorable environment for survival.
The desert is an inhospitable place for most animals and plants.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Uninhabitable and unlivable both describe places that are not suitable or safe for living in, but uninhabitable implies a more severe condition, such as structural damage or contamination.
- 2Inhospitable describes a place that is not welcoming or favorable for survival, but it does not necessarily mean that it is impossible to live there.
Good things to know
- 1Real Estate: Use these antonyms to describe properties that are not suitable for living in.
- 2Travel: Incorporate these antonyms to describe places that are difficult or uncomfortable to visit.
- 3Environmental Science: Utilize these antonyms to describe habitats that are not suitable for certain species.