What is the antonym of “inquire”?
The antonyms of inquire are answer and reply. The antonyms answer and reply convey a response to a question or request. It implies that the information requested has been provided.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A response to a question, request, or problem; a solution or explanation.
He gave a quick answer to the question before moving on to the next topic.
A response to a message, email, or letter; a written or spoken answer.
She sent a prompt reply to the email, thanking the sender for the information.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Answer is a noun or verb that describes a response to a question or request.
- 2Reply is a noun or verb that describes a response to a message, email, or letter.
Good things to know
- 1Effective Communication: Use inquire to ask questions and answer or reply to respond to them.
- 2Professional Correspondence: Use reply in emails and letters to acknowledge receipt of a message and provide a response.
- 3Customer Service: Use answer to provide solutions to customer inquiries and complaints.