What is the antonym of “interlace”?
The antonyms of interlace are untangle and unravel. The antonyms untangle and unravel convey the opposite meaning of interlace, which is to separate or disentangle something that is intertwined or woven together.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To separate something that is tangled or twisted.
She had to untangle her necklace before she could wear it.
To undo or separate the threads or fibers of something that is woven or knitted together.
The sweater started to unravel after she accidentally caught it on a nail.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Untangle is used when referring to something that is twisted or tangled, while unravel is used when referring to something that is woven or knitted.
- 2Untangle implies that something was previously tangled and needs to be separated, while unravel implies that something was previously woven or knitted and needs to be undone.
Good things to know
- 1Daily Life: Use untangle and unravel when dealing with knots, tangles, or snarls in everyday situations.
- 2Crafts and Hobbies: Use unravel when knitting, crocheting, or weaving to fix mistakes or start over.
- 3Problem-Solving: Use untangle and unravel when trying to solve complex problems or untangle complicated situations.
The antonyms of interlace are untangle and unravel. Use untangle when referring to something that is twisted or tangled, and unravel when referring to something that is woven or knitted. These words can be used in daily life, crafts and hobbies, and problem-solving situations.