What is the antonym of “intimity”?
The antonyms of intimacy are distance and aloofness. The antonyms distance and aloofness convey a lack of closeness or emotional connection. They imply a sense of detachment, reserve, or formality.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being far apart in space or time; the absence of closeness or intimacy.
Their relationship suffered from distance as they lived in different cities.
The quality of being emotionally distant, reserved, or uninvolved.
His aloofness made it hard for others to approach him and connect emotionally.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Distance refers to physical or temporal separation, while aloofness refers to emotional detachment or reserve.
- 2Distance can be overcome by communication or effort, while aloofness may be a personality trait or defense mechanism.
- 3Distance can be neutral or positive, while aloofness is often seen as negative or unfriendly.
Good things to know
- 1Relationships: Use intimacy to describe close emotional connections and distance or aloofness to describe lack of closeness or detachment.
- 2Social Interactions: Use distance or aloofness to describe people who seem reserved, unfriendly, or unapproachable.
- 3Writing: Use these antonyms to create nuanced characters or settings in stories or essays.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Distance refers to physical or temporal separation, while aloofness refers to emotional detachment or reserve. Use these words to describe relationships, social interactions, or create nuanced characters or settings in writing.