What is the antonym of “irrepressible”?
The antonym of irrepressible are repressible, containable, and controllable. These words describe the opposite of irrepressible, which means impossible to restrain or control.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Capable of being restrained or controlled.
His anger was repressible and he managed to keep it under control.
Able to be kept within limits; capable of being controlled or restrained.
The fire was containable and did not spread beyond the kitchen.
Able to be managed, directed, or restrained.
The volume of the music was controllable with the remote.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Repressible implies that something can be held back or controlled with effort.
- 2Containable suggests that something can be kept within limits or boundaries.
- 3Controllable indicates that something can be managed or directed.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more accurately.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to add variety and precision.
- 3Enrich Learning: Teach these antonyms to others to help them improve their English language skills.