What is the antonym of “irritable”?
The antonyms of irritable are calm, composed, and relaxed. The antonyms calm, composed, and relaxed convey a positive emotional state. It implies a lack of agitation, anxiety, or stress.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions; peaceful.
She took a deep breath to stay calm during the job interview.
Having one's feelings and expression under control; calm.
Despite the chaos around her, she remained composed and focused on her work.
Free from tension and anxiety; at ease.
He felt relaxed and carefree while lounging on the beach.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Calm suggests a state of tranquility and lack of agitation.
- 2Composed implies a sense of self-control and emotional stability.
- 3Relaxed conveys a feeling of ease and freedom from tension.
Good things to know
- 1Express Emotions: Use calm, composed, and relaxed to describe positive emotional states.
- 2Manage Stress: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to promote relaxation and reduce anxiety.
- 3Create Atmosphere: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to set the tone and mood of a scene.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Calm conveys tranquility, composed implies emotional stability, and relaxed suggests freedom from tension. Use these words to express positive emotions, manage stress, and create atmosphere in narratives.