What is the antonym of “jibbing”?
The antonyms of jibbing are comply, obey, and yield. These words convey the opposite meaning of jibbing, which is to refuse to do something or follow instructions.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To act in accordance with rules, requests, or instructions.
The employees were required to comply with the safety regulations at all times.
To follow orders or commands from someone in authority.
Children are expected to obey their parents and teachers.
To give way to someone or something; to surrender or submit.
The driver had to yield to the pedestrians crossing the road.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Comply implies acting in accordance with rules or instructions.
- 2Obey implies following orders or commands from someone in authority.
- 3Yield implies giving way to someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Instructing: Use comply, obey, and yield when giving instructions to someone.
- 2Discipline: Use obey to teach children to follow rules and respect authority.
- 3Driving: Use yield to indicate that you are giving way to other drivers or pedestrians.