What is the antonym of “justifying”?
The antonyms of justifying are condemn, criticize, and disapprove. These antonyms convey a negative or disapproving attitude towards something or someone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Express complete disapproval of; censure.
The government condemned the terrorist attack and vowed to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Indicate the faults of (someone or something) in a disapproving way.
The teacher criticized the student's essay for its lack of coherence and poor grammar.
Have or express an unfavorable opinion about something.
Her parents disapproved of her decision to drop out of college and pursue a career in music.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Condemn implies a strong disapproval of something, often accompanied by punishment or legal action.
- 2Criticize is a more general term that refers to pointing out faults or shortcomings in something or someone.
- 3Disapprove is a milder term that indicates a negative opinion or judgment about something.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use condemn, criticize, and disapprove to indicate a negative attitude towards something or someone.
- 2Provide Feedback: Use criticize to point out faults or shortcomings in a constructive way.
- 3Show Disagreement: Use disapprove to express disagreement or opposition to something.