What is the antonym of “largess”?
The antonyms of largess are stinginess and miserliness. These words describe the opposite of largess, which is the act of giving generously or being generous.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being unwilling to give or spend; meanness.
His stinginess was evident when he refused to buy a round of drinks for his friends.
The quality of being excessively reluctant to spend money; extreme stinginess.
Her miserliness was so extreme that she refused to turn on the heat in the winter to save money.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Stinginess refers to a reluctance to give or spend money, while miserliness describes an extreme form of stinginess.
- 2Stinginess can be seen as a personality trait, while miserliness is often associated with hoarding wealth.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express ideas more precisely.
- 2Discuss Personal Finance: Use these words to discuss personal finance and budgeting.
- 3Analyze Characters: Use these antonyms to analyze characters in literature or movies who exhibit traits of largess, stinginess, or miserliness.
The antonyms of largess are stinginess and miserliness. Stinginess refers to a reluctance to give or spend money, while miserliness describes an extreme form of stinginess. Use these words to enhance your vocabulary, discuss personal finance, or analyze characters in literature or movies.