What is the antonym of “lasting”?
The antonyms of lasting are temporary, short-lived, and fleeting. These words describe something that does not continue for a long time or is not permanent.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lasting for only a limited period; not permanent.
He got a temporary job at the store until he found a permanent one.
Lasting for only a brief period; not enduring.
The flowers' beauty was short-lived as they wilted in the heat of the sun.
Passing quickly; lasting for only a short time.
The moment of joy was fleeting as it disappeared as quickly as it came.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Temporary refers to something that is not permanent but has a specific duration.
- 2Short-lived describes something that does not last long, but it may not have a specific duration.
- 3Fleeting describes something that passes quickly and may not have a specific duration.
Good things to know
- 1Job Search: Use temporary to describe a job that is not permanent.
- 2Relationships: Use short-lived to describe a relationship that did not last long.
- 3Memories: Use fleeting to describe a memory that passed quickly.
The antonyms of lasting are temporary, short-lived, and fleeting. Use these words to describe something that does not continue for a long time or is not permanent. Temporary refers to something with a specific duration, short-lived describes something that does not last long, and fleeting describes something that passes quickly.