What is the antonym of “latent”?
The antonyms of latent are apparent, manifest, and overt. The antonyms apparent, manifest, and overt convey a sense of visibility or obviousness. It implies that something is easily seen, recognized, or understood.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Easily seen, recognized, or understood; obvious.
Her frustration was apparent from the way she slammed the door.
Clear or obvious to the eye or mind.
The symptoms of the disease were manifest and could not be ignored.
Done or shown openly; not secret or hidden.
His overt hostility towards his boss led to his termination.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Apparent is used to describe something that is easily seen, recognized, or understood.
- 2Manifest is used to describe something that is clear or obvious to the eye or mind.
- 3Overt is used to describe something that is done or shown openly, not secret or hidden.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to add depth and clarity to your ideas.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in your reading materials to better understand the text and its meaning.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Apparent conveys something that is easily seen, manifest denotes something that is clear or obvious, and overt refers to something that is done openly. Use these words to enhance your vocabulary, improve your writing, and enrich your reading experience.