What is the antonym of “leeway”?
The antonyms of leeway are restriction and limitation. The antonyms restriction and limitation convey a sense of confinement or limitation. They imply a lack of freedom or flexibility.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A rule or condition that limits or controls what someone can do.
The company has imposed a restriction on the use of social media during work hours.
A weakness or defect that prevents someone or something from being effective or successful.
His lack of experience was a limitation in his ability to lead the team effectively.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Restriction refers to a specific rule or condition that limits what someone can do.
- 2Limitation refers to a weakness or defect that prevents someone or something from being effective or successful.
- 3Leeway refers to the amount of freedom or flexibility someone has to make decisions or take action.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use leeway to describe the amount of flexibility or discretion someone has in making decisions.
- 2Education: Use restriction and limitation to describe rules or conditions that limit what students can do.
- 3Personal Life: Use these antonyms to describe the level of freedom or flexibility you have in your personal life.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Restriction refers to a specific rule or condition, limitation refers to a weakness or defect, and leeway refers to the amount of freedom or flexibility. Use these words to describe the level of freedom or flexibility in different contexts such as business, education, and personal life.