What is the antonym of “liberal”?
The antonym of liberal is conservative, reactionary, and illiberal. These antonyms are used to describe political beliefs, attitudes, and policies that are different from liberal ideas.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Holding traditional values and cautious about change or innovation.
He has conservative views on social issues such as same-sex marriage and abortion.
Opposing progress or reform; advocating a return to a previous state of affairs.
His reactionary stance on immigration policy is not in line with the current political climate.
Opposed to liberal principles; intolerant of other people's views or lifestyles.
The government's illiberal policies have been criticized for limiting freedom of speech and expression.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Conservative is a term used to describe people who hold traditional values and are cautious about change or innovation.
- 2Reactionary is a term used to describe people who oppose progress or reform and advocate a return to a previous state of affairs.
- 3Illiberal is a term used to describe people who are opposed to liberal principles and are intolerant of other people's views or lifestyles.
Good things to know
- 1Political Discussions: Use these antonyms to describe different political beliefs and ideologies.
- 2News Reports: Incorporate these antonyms in news reports to provide a balanced perspective on political issues.
- 3Academic Writing: Utilize these antonyms in academic writing to analyze and compare different political systems and ideologies.
The antonyms of liberal are conservative, reactionary, and illiberal. These words are used to describe different political beliefs and attitudes. Use them in political discussions, news reports, and academic writing to provide a balanced perspective on political issues.