What is the antonym of “lighted”?
The antonyms of lighted are darkened and extinguished. The antonyms darkened and extinguished convey the opposite meaning of lighted, which is to make something dark or without light.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having less light; obscured by shadows or darkness.
As the sun set, the sky darkened and the stars began to appear.
To put out a fire or light; to make something no longer burn or shine.
He extinguished the candles on the birthday cake after making a wish.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Darkened refers to a state of having less light, while extinguished means to put out a fire or light completely.
- 2Darkened can be used as an adjective to describe a place or object that has less light, while extinguished is a verb that describes the action of putting out a fire or light.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Places: Use darkened to describe a room or area with less light.
- 2Extinguishing Fire: Use extinguished when talking about putting out a fire or light.
- 3Telling Stories: Incorporate these antonyms in narratives to create contrast and build tension.
The antonyms of lighted are darkened and extinguished. Use darkened to describe a place or object with less light, and extinguished when talking about putting out a fire or light. These antonyms can also be used to create contrast and build tension in storytelling.