What is the antonym of “localize”?
The antonyms of localize are generalize and globalize. The antonym generalize refers to making something more general or widespread, while globalize refers to making something worldwide or universal.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something more general or widespread by removing specific details or characteristics.
She tried to generalize the findings of her study to apply to a larger population.
To make something worldwide or universal in scope or application.
The company decided to globalize its operations and expand into new markets around the world.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Generalize involves removing specific details to make something more general or widespread, while localize involves focusing on specific details to make something more specific or limited.
- 2Globalize involves making something worldwide or universal, while localize involves making something more specific or tailored to a particular location or context.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use generalize to discuss broad trends or patterns, and localize to focus on specific examples or case studies.
- 2Business: Use globalize to describe expanding into new markets or reaching a global audience, and localize to describe tailoring products or services to specific local markets.
- 3Technology: Use generalize to describe abstract concepts or algorithms, and localize to describe adapting software or user interfaces for different languages or cultures.
The antonyms of localize are generalize and globalize. Use generalize to make something more general or widespread, and globalize to make something worldwide or universal. Use localize to focus on specific details or tailor something to a particular location or context.