What is the antonym of “lock”?
The antonyms of lock are unlock and open. The antonyms unlock and open describe the action of releasing or removing a lock to gain access to something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To release or remove a lock, allowing access to something that was previously secured.
I need to unlock the door before we can enter the room.
To move or adjust something to allow access or passage through it.
Please open the window to let some fresh air in.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unlock specifically refers to the action of releasing or removing a lock to gain access to something.
- 2Open is a more general term that describes the action of moving or adjusting something to allow access or passage through it.
Good things to know
- 1Security: Use lock and unlock when talking about securing doors, safes, or other items.
- 2Access: Use unlock and open when discussing gaining access to locked or closed spaces.
- 3Directions: Use unlock and open when giving instructions on how to open a locked or closed item.