What is the antonym of “lookout”?
The antonyms of lookout are carelessness and negligence. The antonyms carelessness and negligence convey a lack of attention or caution. It implies a disregard for potential dangers or consequences.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of attention or caution; failure to take proper care in doing something.
His carelessness caused the accident that could have been avoided.
Failure to take reasonable care or precaution; disregard for safety or well-being.
The company was sued for negligence after a worker was injured on the job.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Carelessness is a general term that describes a lack of attention or caution.
- 2Negligence is a more specific term that describes a failure to take reasonable care or precaution, often resulting in harm or damage.
Good things to know
- 1Safety: Use carelessness and negligence to emphasize the importance of being cautious and attentive in potentially dangerous situations.
- 2Accountability: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to hold people accountable for their actions or lack of action.
- 3Legal Matters: Utilize these antonyms in legal contexts to describe the degree of responsibility or fault in a situation.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Carelessness conveys a general lack of attention or caution, while negligence refers to a failure to take reasonable care or precaution, often resulting in harm or damage. Use these words to emphasize safety, hold people accountable, and describe responsibility or fault in legal matters.