What is the antonym of “lulled”?
The antonyms of lulled are agitate, disturb, and awaken. The antonyms convey a state of being alert, active, or disturbed. It implies a lack of calmness, peace, or tranquility.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To disturb or excite emotionally; to cause anxiety or unrest.
The loud noise from the construction site would agitate the residents and disrupt their sleep.
To interrupt or interfere with the peace, order, or functioning of something.
The sudden power outage would disturb the work of the employees and cause inconvenience.
To stop sleeping and become conscious or aware of one's surroundings.
The sound of the alarm clock would awaken her from her deep slumber and signal the start of a new day.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Agitate implies a strong emotional response, such as anxiety or unrest.
- 2Disturb suggests an interruption or interference with the peace or order of something.
- 3Awaken refers to the act of becoming conscious or aware after sleeping.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use agitate, disturb, and awaken to express emotions effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Storytelling: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Agitate conveys strong emotional response, disturb suggests interruption or interference, and awaken refers to becoming conscious after sleeping. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich storytelling by creating relatable characters and compelling narratives.