What is the antonym of “luminance”?
The antonyms of luminance are darkness and dullness. The antonym darkness refers to the absence of light, while dullness describes the lack of brightness or intensity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The absence of light; the state of being dark.
The room was filled with darkness after the power outage.
The quality of lacking brightness or intensity; the opposite of being bright or shiny.
The dullness of the paint made the room look smaller and less inviting.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Darkness is the complete absence of light, while dullness refers to the lack of brightness or intensity.
- 2Darkness is a complementary antonym, while dullness is a gradable antonym.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Light: Use luminance to describe the brightness or intensity of light.
- 2Creating Atmosphere: Use darkness to create a sense of mystery or fear in a story or setting.
- 3Describing Appearance: Use dullness to describe the lack of shine or brightness in an object's appearance.
The antonyms of luminance are darkness and dullness. Darkness is the absence of light, while dullness is the lack of brightness or intensity. Use these words to describe light, create atmosphere, and describe appearance.