What is the antonym of “magnetized”?
The antonyms of magnetized are repel and deter. The antonym repel refers to the force that pushes two objects away from each other, while deter means to discourage or prevent someone from doing something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To push away or resist the attraction between two objects with opposite magnetic charges.
The north pole of one magnet will repel the north pole of another magnet.
To discourage or prevent someone from doing something.
The high cost of the product may deter some customers from buying it.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Repel is a physical term that describes the force between two magnets with opposite charges.
- 2Deter is a psychological term that describes the act of discouraging or preventing someone from doing something.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use repel when discussing magnetic forces and their effects on objects.
- 2Social Situations: Use deter when discussing how to prevent someone from doing something.
- 3Writing: Use these antonyms to create vivid descriptions and analogies in your writing.
The antonyms repel and deter have distinct meanings. Repel refers to the force between two magnets with opposite charges, while deter means to discourage or prevent someone from doing something. Use these words in science, social situations, and writing to convey specific meanings.