What is the antonym of “mercifully”?
The antonyms of mercifully are cruelly, harshly, and mercilessly. These words convey a lack of mercy or kindness and imply a harsh or cruel treatment.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
In a manner that causes pain, suffering, or distress to others.
The prisoners were treated cruelly by their captors.
In a severe or strict manner; lacking gentleness or kindness.
The teacher scolded the student harshly for not completing the homework.
In a manner that shows no mercy or compassion; without pity or kindness.
The dictator ruled mercilessly and showed no mercy to his opponents.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Cruelly implies causing pain, suffering, or distress to others.
- 2Harshly implies being severe or strict, lacking gentleness or kindness.
- 3Mercilessly implies showing no mercy or compassion, without pity or kindness.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to express different degrees of cruelty or harshness.
- 2Show Empathy: Avoid using these antonyms when describing people or situations that require kindness or compassion.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create tension, conflict, and drama.