What is the antonym of “mercifulness”?
The antonyms of mercifulness are cruelty, harshness, and unkindness. These antonyms describe the opposite of being kind, compassionate, or forgiving. They imply a lack of empathy, sympathy, or consideration for others.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being cruel; a disposition to inflict suffering or harm on others.
The cruelty of the dictator towards his people was well-known.
The quality or state of being harsh; severity or roughness in tone, manner, or treatment.
The harshness of his words made her feel hurt and offended.
The quality or state of being unkind; a lack of kindness, compassion, or consideration for others.
Her unkindness towards her colleagues made her unpopular at work.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Cruelty implies a deliberate intention to cause harm or suffering to others.
- 2Harshness suggests a lack of gentleness or sensitivity in tone, manner, or treatment.
- 3Unkindness denotes a lack of kindness, compassion, or consideration for others.
Good things to know
- 1Vocabulary Building: Learn and practice using these antonyms to expand your vocabulary.
- 2Writing: Use these antonyms to create contrast and add depth to your writing.
- 3Empathy: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding and empathy.