What is the antonym of “militarise”?
The antonyms of militarise are demilitarize, disarm, and weaken. These words convey the opposite meaning of militarisation, which is the process of preparing for war or military action.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To remove or reduce the military presence or weapons from a particular area or country.
After the war ended, the government decided to demilitarize the region and focus on rebuilding.
To take away or reduce the weapons or military capabilities of a person, group, or nation.
The peace treaty required both sides to disarm and destroy their nuclear weapons.
To make something less strong, powerful, or effective.
The economic sanctions were designed to weaken the enemy's ability to fund its military operations.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Demilitarize specifically refers to removing military presence or weapons from a particular area or country.
- 2Disarm refers to taking away or reducing the weapons or military capabilities of a person, group, or nation.
- 3Weaken is a more general term that describes making something less strong, powerful, or effective.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use these antonyms to discuss military policies and international relations.
- 2News: Incorporate these words when reporting on disarmament treaties, peace talks, and military conflicts.
- 3Academia: Utilize these antonyms in research papers and essays related to war, peace, and security studies.