The Opposite(Antonym) of “misprise”
The antonyms of misprise are appreciate, esteem, and respect. The antonyms appreciate, esteem, and respect convey a positive or favorable emotional state. It implies a high regard, admiration, or recognition.
Definitions and Examples of appreciate, esteem, respect
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To recognize the value, worth, or significance of someone or something.
I appreciate your hard work and dedication to this project.
To hold in high regard; to respect and admire.
She is esteemed by her colleagues for her expertise and professionalism.
To feel or show deferential regard for someone or something; to honor and admire.
We should respect our elders and treat them with kindness and compassion.
Key Differences: appreciate vs esteem vs respect
- 1Appreciate refers to recognizing the value or worth of someone or something.
- 2Esteem denotes holding someone or something in high regard and respecting and admiring them.
- 3Respect involves feeling or showing deferential regard for someone or something and honoring and admiring them.
Effective Usage of appreciate, esteem, respect
- 1Express Gratitude: Use appreciate to express gratitude and acknowledge someone's efforts.
- 2Show Admiration: Use esteem to show admiration and respect for someone's qualities or achievements.
- 3Demonstrate Honor: Use respect to demonstrate honor and deference towards someone or something.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Appreciate conveys recognition of value, esteem denotes high regard and admiration, and respect involves deferential regard and honor. Use these words to express gratitude, show admiration, and demonstrate honor and deference towards someone or something.