What is the antonym of “mondaine”?
The antonyms of mondaine are humble and modest. The antonyms humble and modest convey a lack of pretension, arrogance, or extravagance. It implies a simple and unassuming lifestyle.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having or showing a modest or low estimate of one's importance.
Despite his wealth, he lived a humble life in a small house and drove an old car.
Having or showing a moderate or humble estimate of one's merits, importance, or achievements.
She was a modest person who never boasted about her accomplishments.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Humble implies a lack of pride or self-importance, often accompanied by a willingness to serve others.
- 2Modest implies a lack of showiness or extravagance, often accompanied by a sense of propriety and decorum.
Good things to know
- 1Social Interactions: Use humble and modest to describe people who are unassuming and down-to-earth.
- 2Personal Traits: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to describe your own personality or that of others.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and vivid descriptions.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Humble conveys a lack of pride or self-importance, while modest implies a lack of showiness or extravagance. Use these words to describe people, personal traits, or create vivid descriptions in writing.