The Opposite(Antonym) of “needs”
The antonyms of needs are wants and luxuries. The word needs refers to things that are necessary or essential for survival, while wants and luxuries refer to things that are not essential but desired.
Explore all Antonyms of “needs”
Definitions and Examples of wants, luxuries
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Desires or aspirations for something that is not necessary for survival.
He has all the basic necessities, but he still wants a new car.
Expensive or indulgent things that are not necessary for survival.
She enjoys the luxuries of life, such as fine dining and exotic vacations.
Key Differences: wants vs luxuries
- 1Wants are desires for things that are not necessary for survival, while needs are essential for survival.
- 2Luxuries are expensive or indulgent things that are not necessary for survival, while needs are basic necessities.
Effective Usage of wants, luxuries
- 1Clarify Meaning: Use wants and luxuries to differentiate between essential and non-essential items.
- 2Express Gratitude: Acknowledge the difference between needs and wants to appreciate what one has.
- 3Budgeting: Use needs, wants, and luxuries to prioritize spending and manage finances effectively.
The antonyms of needs are wants and luxuries. While needs are essential for survival, wants and luxuries are not. Use these words to clarify meaning, express gratitude, and manage finances effectively.