The Opposite(Antonym) of “nonincidental”
The antonym of nonincidental is incidental, secondary, and peripheral. The antonyms incidental, secondary, and peripheral convey a sense of something being less important, less relevant, or less central.
Definitions and Examples of incidental, secondary, peripheral
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Happening as a minor accompaniment to something else.
The music in the restaurant was just an incidental part of the dining experience.
Coming after, less important than, or resulting from something else.
The main focus of the meeting was on the budget, with other issues being of secondary importance.
Relating to or situated on the edge or periphery of something.
The company's peripheral products were not as profitable as its core offerings.
Key Differences: incidental vs secondary vs peripheral
- 1Incidental suggests that something is happening as a minor accompaniment to something else.
- 2Secondary implies that something is less important than something else.
- 3Peripheral refers to something that is on the edge or periphery of something else.
Effective Usage of incidental, secondary, peripheral
- 1Writing: Use these antonyms to describe the relative importance of different ideas or concepts.
- 2Speaking: Incorporate these antonyms into your speech to clarify the importance of different topics.
- 3Reading: Look for these antonyms in texts to better understand the author's intended meaning.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Incidental suggests something is minor, secondary implies something is less important, and peripheral refers to something on the edge. Use these words in writing, speaking, and reading to clarify the importance of different topics.