What is the antonym of “antecessor”?
The antonym of antecessor is successor and descendant. The antonyms successor and descendant convey a different meaning from antecessor. They imply a person or thing that comes after or follows another.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A person or thing that succeeds another in a position, title, or role.
After the CEO retired, the board appointed a new successor to take his place.
A person, plant, or animal that is descended from a particular ancestor.
The royal family's descendants still live in the palace today.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Successor refers to a person or thing that comes after another in a position, title, or role.
- 2Descendant refers to a person, plant, or animal that is descended from a particular ancestor.
- 3Antecessor refers to a person or thing that existed before another.
Good things to know
- 1History: Use these antonyms to describe the lineage of people, plants, or animals.
- 2Genealogy: Incorporate these antonyms to trace the ancestry of individuals or families.
- 3Business: Utilize these antonyms to describe the transfer of power or leadership from one person to another.