What is the antonym of “appeasement”?
The antonym of appeasement are resistance, confrontation, and defiance. These words convey a sense of opposition or resistance to an opposing force or authority.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of opposing or withstanding something; the ability to withstand the effect of something.
The resistance movement fought against the oppressive regime and demanded democracy.
A hostile or argumentative meeting or situation between opposing parties.
The confrontation between the two political leaders escalated into a heated debate.
Open resistance or disobedience to an authority or opposing force.
The student showed defiance towards the teacher's instructions and refused to follow them.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Resistance implies a more passive form of opposition, while confrontation and defiance suggest a more active and aggressive approach.
- 2Confrontation refers to a hostile or argumentative meeting or situation between opposing parties, while defiance is open resistance or disobedience to an authority or opposing force.
- 3Defiance is a more extreme form of opposition, while resistance and confrontation can be used in a wider range of contexts.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use these antonyms to describe different approaches to dealing with opposing parties or regimes.
- 2Social Issues: Incorporate these antonyms to discuss different forms of resistance to social injustices or oppression.
- 3Personal Development: Utilize these antonyms to describe different attitudes towards authority and opposition in personal growth and development.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Resistance is a more passive form of opposition, confrontation suggests a hostile meeting, and defiance is open disobedience. Use these words to describe different approaches to politics, social issues, and personal development.