What is the antonym of “applaudable”?
The antonyms of applaudable are blameworthy, discreditable, and reprehensible. These antonyms convey a negative or disapproving meaning. They imply that something is wrong, unacceptable, or deserving of criticism.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Deserving blame or censure; responsible for a fault or wrongdoing.
The company's CEO was found blameworthy for the financial scandal that cost the investors millions of dollars.
Causing damage to one's reputation; bringing shame or disgrace.
The politician's involvement in the bribery scandal was discreditable and led to his resignation.
Deserving condemnation or strong disapproval; morally wrong or wicked.
The act of stealing from the charity fund was reprehensible and went against the values of the organization.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Blameworthy implies responsibility for a fault or wrongdoing.
- 2Discreditable suggests damage to one's reputation or image.
- 3Reprehensible conveys moral wrongness or wickedness.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use these antonyms to express disapproval or criticism of someone's behavior or actions.
- 2Discuss Ethics: Incorporate these words in discussions about ethics, morality, and social responsibility.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Learn and use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and improve your communication skills.
The antonyms of applaudable convey a negative or disapproving meaning. Blameworthy implies responsibility for a fault or wrongdoing, discreditable suggests damage to one's reputation, and reprehensible conveys moral wrongness. Use these words to express disapproval, discuss ethics, and enrich your vocabulary.