What is the antonym of “archaize”?
The antonyms of archaize are modernize, update, and contemporize. The antonyms modernize, update, and contemporize convey the idea of making something more current, relevant, or in line with contemporary standards.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To bring something up to date with modern styles, techniques, or technology.
The company decided to modernize its production process by introducing automation and robotics.
To make something more current, accurate, or relevant by adding new information or features.
The software developer released a new version to update the program's security and performance.
To make something more in line with current trends, styles, or tastes.
The fashion designer decided to contemporize the brand's image by using bold colors and edgy designs.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Modernize implies bringing something up to date with modern technology or techniques.
- 2Update implies adding new information or features to make something more current or accurate.
- 3Contemporize implies making something more in line with current trends or styles.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use modernize, update, and contemporize to describe efforts to improve products, services, or processes.
- 2Technology: Use modernize and update to describe software, hardware, or systems that have been improved or upgraded.
- 3Art and Design: Use contemporize to describe efforts to make art, fashion, or design more current or relevant.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Modernize implies updating with modern technology or techniques, update implies adding new information or features, and contemporize implies making something more in line with current trends or styles. Use these words to describe efforts to improve products, services, or processes in business, technology, or art and design.