What is the antonym of “argumentative”?
The antonyms of argumentative are conciliatory, agreeable, and cooperative. These words convey a different attitude towards communication and conflict resolution. While argumentative implies a tendency to argue or disagree, the antonyms suggest a willingness to compromise, find common ground, and work together.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Intended to make peace or reconcile differences; willing to compromise.
He made a conciliatory gesture by offering to split the cost of the repairs.
Willing to agree or comply with something; pleasant or enjoyable.
She was agreeable to the proposal and suggested some minor changes.
Willing to work together with others towards a common goal; helpful and supportive.
The team was very cooperative and managed to finish the project ahead of schedule.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Conciliatory implies an attempt to reconcile differences and find a middle ground.
- 2Agreeable suggests a willingness to accept or comply with something without much resistance.
- 3Cooperative emphasizes the idea of working together towards a common goal and being supportive of each other.
Good things to know
- 1Conflict Resolution: Use conciliatory to defuse tense situations and find common ground.
- 2Negotiation: Use agreeable to show flexibility and willingness to compromise in negotiations.
- 3Teamwork: Use cooperative to describe a positive and productive work environment where people support each other.