What is the antonym of “assertion”?
The antonyms of assertion are denial and retraction. The antonyms denial and retraction convey the opposite meaning of assertion, which is a confident and forceful statement of fact or belief.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A statement that something is not true or does not exist.
He made a denial of the allegations against him.
A statement that one's previous statement was incorrect or false.
After realizing his mistake, he issued a retraction of his earlier statement.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Denial is a statement that something is not true or does not exist.
- 2Retraction is a statement that one's previous statement was incorrect or false.
Good things to know
- 1Debate: Use assertion and its antonyms to express opposing views in a discussion or debate.
- 2Journalism: Incorporate assertion and its antonyms in news articles to report statements made by individuals or organizations.
- 3Academic Writing: Use assertion and its antonyms in academic writing to present arguments and counterarguments.
The antonyms of assertion are denial and retraction. Use these words to express opposing views in a debate, report statements in journalism, and present arguments and counterarguments in academic writing.