What is the antonym of “asymmetric”?
The antonyms of asymmetric are symmetrical, balanced, and proportional. These words describe a state where things are equal or evenly distributed.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having balanced proportions; exhibiting symmetry.
The butterfly's wings were perfectly symmetrical.
Being in a state of equilibrium; having equal distribution.
A balanced diet includes all the necessary nutrients in the right proportions.
Corresponding in size, amount, or degree; having a proper relation between parts.
The height of the tree is proportional to its age.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Symmetrical refers to a balanced arrangement of parts around a central point or axis.
- 2Balanced refers to an even distribution of weight, quantity, or proportion.
- 3Proportional refers to a proper relationship between parts in terms of size, amount, or degree.
Good things to know
- 1Art and Design: Use symmetrical to describe balanced and harmonious designs.
- 2Finance and Economics: Use balanced to describe a stable economy with equal distribution of wealth.
- 3Mathematics and Science: Use proportional to describe the relationship between two quantities that maintain a constant ratio.