What is the antonym of “attends”?
The antonyms of attends are miss, skip, and avoid. These words convey the opposite meaning of attending or being present at a particular event or place.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To fail to attend or be present at an event, meeting, or appointment.
I'm going to miss the party because I have to work late.
To intentionally not attend or participate in something.
I'm going to skip the lecture and study on my own instead.
To stay away from someone or something; to prevent something from happening.
I'm going to avoid the crowded area and take a different route home.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Miss implies that someone was expected to attend but failed to do so.
- 2Skip implies a deliberate choice not to attend or participate.
- 3Avoid implies staying away from something or someone to prevent negative consequences.
Good things to know
- 1Planning: Use these antonyms when making plans to indicate whether you will attend or not.
- 2Scheduling: Use these antonyms when scheduling appointments or meetings to indicate availability.
- 3Explaining: Use these antonyms to explain why you were not present at a particular event or meeting.