What is the antonym of “beguiling”?
The antonyms of beguiling are repulsive and unattractive. The antonyms repulsive and unattractive convey a negative or unappealing quality. It implies a lack of charm, attractiveness, or appeal.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Causing intense disgust or aversion; extremely unpleasant.
The smell of the garbage was so repulsive that it made me gag.
Not pleasing or appealing to the senses; lacking beauty or charm.
The old building was unattractive and in need of repair.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Repulsive describes something that causes intense disgust or aversion.
- 2Unattractive describes something that lacks beauty or charm.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Appearance: Use repulsive and unattractive to describe physical appearance.
- 2Expressing Dislike: Use repulsive to express strong dislike or aversion towards something.
- 3Comparing Qualities: Use unattractive to compare qualities and characteristics.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Repulsive conveys intense disgust or aversion, while unattractive describes a lack of beauty or charm. Use these words to describe physical appearance, express dislike, and compare qualities and characteristics.