What is the antonym of “belong”?
The antonyms of belong are disbelong, not belong, and be unaffiliated. These words convey the opposite meaning of belong, which means to be a member or a part of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To not be a part of or have no connection to a particular group or place.
As an outsider, he felt like he disbelonged in the tight-knit community.
To not be a member or a part of a particular group or category.
Her interests did not belong in the traditional gender roles assigned by society.
To have no formal or official connection or association with a particular organization or group.
He chose to be unaffiliated with any political party and vote based on individual candidates.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disbelong emphasizes the lack of connection or belonging to a particular group or place.
- 2Not belong emphasizes the absence of membership or inclusion in a particular group or category.
- 3Be unaffiliated emphasizes the lack of formal or official connection or association with a particular organization or group.
Good things to know
- 1Express Exclusion: Use disbelong and not belong to express exclusion from a particular group or category.
- 2Describe Independence: Use be unaffiliated to describe independence from formal or official connections or associations.
- 3Discuss Identity: Incorporate these antonyms in discussions about identity and belonging to explore different perspectives and experiences.
The antonyms of belong convey the opposite meaning of being a member or a part of something. Disbelong emphasizes the lack of connection, not belong emphasizes the absence of membership, and be unaffiliated emphasizes the lack of formal or official connection. Use these words to express exclusion, describe independence, and discuss identity and belonging.