What is the antonym of “blitheness”?
The antonyms of blitheness are sadness, gloominess, and melancholy. These antonyms describe a feeling of sadness, unhappiness, or lack of joy.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The state of being unhappy or sorrowful.
She couldn't hide her sadness when she heard the news.
Feeling or showing a lack of cheerfulness or happiness.
The weather outside matched his gloominess.
A feeling of pensive sadness, typically with no obvious cause.
The sound of the rain always brought on a sense of melancholy.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Sadness is a general term that describes a feeling of unhappiness or sorrow.
- 2Gloominess is a more specific term that describes a lack of cheerfulness or happiness.
- 3Melancholy is a nuanced term that describes a feeling of pensive sadness with no obvious cause.
Good things to know
- 1Express Emotions: Use these antonyms to express different emotions in conversations or writing.
- 2Expand Vocabulary: Learn these antonyms to improve your vocabulary and understanding of English.
- 3Analyze Literature: Identify these antonyms in literature to understand the author's tone and mood.