What is the antonym of “bloomed”?
The antonyms of bloomed are withered, died, and declined. The antonyms convey a negative or opposite meaning to the verb bloomed, which means to produce flowers or to flourish.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To become dry, shrunken, and faded, often due to lack of water or nutrients.
The leaves on the plant had withered and turned brown due to the hot weather.
To stop living; to cease to exist.
The flowers in the garden had died due to the frosty weather.
To become less in amount, quality, or strength; to deteriorate.
The health of the patient had declined after the surgery.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Withered describes something that has lost its vitality and freshness due to lack of water or nutrients.
- 2Died is a more final term that describes something that has stopped living or ceased to exist.
- 3Declined is a more gradual term that describes something that has become weaker or less in amount or quality over time.
Good things to know
- 1Gardening: Use these antonyms to describe the state of plants and flowers.
- 2Health: Use these antonyms to describe the state of a person's health.
- 3Economy: Use these antonyms to describe the state of an economy or business.