What is the antonym of “borrowed”?
The antonyms of borrowed are lend, return, and give. These words convey the opposite meaning of borrowing, which is to give or return something that belongs to you.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To give something to someone for a temporary period, with the expectation that it will be returned.
Can you lend me your pen for a moment?
To give back something that belongs to someone else.
I need to return this book to the library before it's due.
To transfer the possession of something to someone else.
She gave me a ride to the airport.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lend implies giving something temporarily with the expectation of getting it back.
- 2Return means giving something back to its owner after borrowing it.
- 3Give means transferring the possession of something to someone else without the expectation of getting it back.
Good things to know
- 1Borrowing and Lending: Use borrowed and lend to talk about borrowing and lending things.
- 2Returning Items: Use borrowed and return to talk about returning items that were borrowed.
- 3Giving and Receiving: Use give to talk about giving something to someone else.
The antonyms of borrowed are lend, return, and give. Use these words to talk about borrowing and lending things, returning items that were borrowed, and giving something to someone else.