What is the antonym of “brilliance”?
The antonyms of brilliance are dullness, mediocrity, and stupidity. These words describe a lack of intelligence, creativity, or excellence.
See all the antonyms of “brilliance”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of brightness, vividness, or sharpness.
The dullness of the colors in the painting made it look unappealing.
The state of being average or ordinary; not outstanding or exceptional.
The company's mediocrity in customer service led to a decline in sales.
Lack of intelligence, understanding, or common sense.
His stupidity in ignoring safety rules led to a serious accident.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dullness refers to a lack of brightness or sharpness, while brilliance describes a high level of intelligence or creativity.
- 2Mediocrity is a complementary antonym that describes an average or ordinary level of performance, while brilliance denotes an outstanding or exceptional level of performance.
- 3Stupidity is a negative term that describes a lack of intelligence or common sense, while brilliance is a positive term that describes a high level of intelligence or creativity.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use these antonyms to describe the quality of work or ideas.
- 2Artistic Expression: Incorporate these antonyms in creative writing or visual arts to convey different moods or themes.
- 3Personal Development: Use these antonyms to reflect on personal strengths and weaknesses and set goals for improvement.
The antonyms of brilliance are dullness, mediocrity, and stupidity. These words describe a lack of intelligence, creativity, or excellence. Use them in academic writing, artistic expression, or personal development to convey different moods or themes, reflect on personal strengths and weaknesses, and set goals for improvement.