What is the antonym of “calibrate”?
The antonyms of calibrate are disregard, ignore, and misalign. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of calibrate, which is to adjust or measure something precisely.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To pay no attention to; ignore.
He chose to disregard the warning signs and ended up in trouble.
To refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
She decided to ignore his rude behavior and focus on her work.
To place or arrange (something) improperly or incorrectly.
The mechanic realized that the wheels were misaligned and needed to be fixed.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disregard implies a lack of attention or consideration towards something.
- 2Ignore suggests a deliberate choice to not acknowledge or pay attention to something.
- 3Misalign refers to the incorrect placement or arrangement of something.
Good things to know
- 1Science and Engineering: Use calibrate to describe precise measurements and adjustments.
- 2Everyday Life: Use disregard and ignore to describe situations where someone is not paying attention or ignoring something.
- 3Technical Fields: Use misalign to describe incorrect placement or arrangement of objects.
The antonyms of calibrate are disregard, ignore, and misalign. Use calibrate to describe precise measurements and adjustments, while disregard and ignore describe situations where someone is not paying attention or ignoring something. Misalign refers to the incorrect placement or arrangement of something.