What is the antonym of “cantankerous”?
The antonyms of cantankerous are amiable and good-natured. The antonyms amiable and good-natured convey a positive and friendly emotional state. It implies a pleasant and agreeable disposition.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having or displaying a friendly and pleasant manner.
The new neighbor was so amiable that everyone in the community liked him.
Having a pleasant and friendly disposition; easy to get along with.
Despite the stressful situation, he managed to remain good-natured and kept everyone's spirits up.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Amiable describes someone who is friendly and pleasant in their manner.
- 2Good-natured describes someone who has a pleasant disposition and is easy to get along with.
Good things to know
- 1Socializing: Use amiable and good-natured to describe people who are friendly and easy to talk to.
- 2Complimenting: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to compliment someone's personality.
- 3Describing Characters: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create likable and relatable characters.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Amiable describes someone who is friendly and pleasant, while good-natured describes someone who has a pleasant disposition and is easy to get along with. Use these words to socialize, compliment someone's personality, and describe likable characters in narratives.