What is the antonym of “caricature”?
The antonyms of caricature are flattery and praise. While caricature is a representation of someone or something that exaggerates certain features or characteristics, flattery and praise are positive expressions that highlight the good qualities of someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Excessive or insincere praise given to someone, often to gain favor or advantage.
She saw through his flattery and knew he was just trying to get her to do what he wanted.
To express approval or admiration for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for their hard work and dedication.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Flattery is insincere and often used to manipulate or gain favor, while caricature is an exaggerated representation that may be humorous or critical.
- 2Praise is a genuine expression of approval or admiration, while caricature is a form of artistic expression that exaggerates certain features or characteristics.
Good things to know
- 1Social Situations: Use flattery to smooth over social situations or to gain favor with someone.
- 2Positive Feedback: Use praise to provide positive feedback to someone for their accomplishments or efforts.
- 3Artistic Expression: Use caricature as a form of artistic expression to create humorous or critical representations of people or things.
The antonyms of caricature are flattery and praise. While caricature is an exaggerated representation, flattery is insincere and often used to manipulate, and praise is a genuine expression of approval. Use these words in social situations, to provide positive feedback, or as a form of artistic expression.