Definitions and Examples of disregarding, neglecting
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Paying no attention to; ignoring or dismissing.
He was disregarding the safety rules, which put everyone in danger.
Failing to take care of or give attention to someone or something.
She was neglecting her health by not eating well and not exercising.
Key Differences: disregarding vs neglecting
- 1Disregarding implies actively ignoring or dismissing something or someone, while neglecting implies failing to take care of or give attention to something or someone.
- 2Disregarding can be intentional or unintentional, while neglecting is usually unintentional.
- 3Disregarding can be used for both animate and inanimate objects, while neglecting is usually used for animate objects.
Effective Usage of disregarding, neglecting
- 1Enhance Communication: Use disregarding and neglecting to express a lack of care or attention effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create relatable characters and compelling stories.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Disregarding implies actively ignoring or dismissing, while neglecting implies failing to take care of or give attention. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating relatable characters and compelling stories.