What is the antonym of “choose”?
The antonyms of choose are reject, disregard, and ignore. These words convey the opposite meaning of selecting or making a decision. They imply that one is not interested in or does not want something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To refuse to accept, consider, or use something.
The company decided to reject the proposal due to budget constraints.
To pay no attention to something; to ignore or overlook something.
He chose to disregard the warning signs and ended up getting lost in the woods.
To intentionally not pay attention to something or someone.
She decided to ignore her friend's advice and went ahead with the risky investment.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Reject implies a more formal or official refusal, often based on specific criteria or standards.
- 2Disregard suggests a lack of attention or care towards something, often resulting in negative consequences.
- 3Ignore implies a deliberate choice to not pay attention or give importance to something or someone.
Good things to know
- 1Decision Making: Use choose when making a decision, and reject, disregard, or ignore when you do not want something.
- 2Communication: Use these antonyms to express your preferences or opinions clearly.
- 3Writing: Incorporate these words in your writing to add variety and clarity to your sentences.