What is the antonym of “clean”?
The antonyms of clean are dirty, unclean, and contaminated. These words describe the opposite of clean, which is something that is not free from dirt, dust, or impurities.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Covered or marked with an unclean substance; not clean.
The kitchen was dirty and needed a good scrubbing.
Not clean or pure; contaminated.
The water in the river was unclean and not safe to drink.
Containing harmful or unwanted substances that make it impure or unsafe.
The food was contaminated with bacteria and caused everyone who ate it to get sick.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Dirty refers to something that is covered in an unclean substance, such as dirt or grime.
- 2Unclean is a more formal term that describes something that is not clean or pure, often used in a religious or spiritual context.
- 3Contaminated describes something that has been made impure or unsafe by the presence of harmful or unwanted substances.
Good things to know
- 1Household Chores: Use these antonyms to describe the state of cleanliness of your home.
- 2Food Safety: Use contaminated to describe food that is unsafe to eat due to the presence of harmful substances.
- 3Environmental Issues: Use unclean to describe polluted air or water.
The antonyms of clean are dirty, unclean, and contaminated. These words describe the opposite of clean, which is something that is not free from dirt, dust, or impurities. Use these words to describe the state of cleanliness of your home, food safety, and environmental issues.