What is the antonym of “closely”?
The antonyms of closely are distantly and remotely. The antonyms distantly and remotely convey a sense of physical or emotional distance. They imply a lack of proximity, intimacy, or familiarity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
At a physical or emotional distance; far away in space or time.
She looked at him distantly, as if they had never met before.
At a great distance; far away in space or time.
He felt remotely connected to his hometown, even though he had lived there for years.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Distantly implies a greater degree of separation than remotely, both physically and emotionally.
- 2Remotely suggests a more distant relationship in terms of space or time, but not necessarily emotional distance.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use distantly and remotely to describe physical or emotional distance effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding of others' feelings.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create vivid descriptions and evoke emotions.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Distantly conveys a greater degree of separation, while remotely suggests a more distant relationship in terms of space or time. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating vivid descriptions and evoking emotions.