What is the antonym of “colonial”?
The antonyms of colonial are independent and autonomous. These antonyms describe a state of self-rule, free from external control or influence.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Free from outside control; not depending on another's authority.
After gaining independence, the country became independent and was able to make its own decisions.
Having the freedom to govern oneself or control one's own affairs.
The region was granted autonomous status, allowing it to make decisions independently of the central government.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Independent implies complete freedom from external control or influence.
- 2Autonomous implies having the freedom to govern oneself or control one's own affairs.
Good things to know
- 1Politics: Use these antonyms to describe the relationship between countries or regions.
- 2History: Incorporate these antonyms when discussing the evolution of political systems.
- 3Education: Utilize these antonyms in social studies classes to teach about different forms of government.
The antonyms independent and autonomous describe a state of self-rule, free from external control or influence. Independent implies complete freedom, while autonomous implies having the freedom to govern oneself. These antonyms can be used in politics, history, and education to describe different forms of government and political systems.